Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Window on the West - Finale


I am the way into the city of woe.

I am the way to a forsaken people.

I am the way into eternal sorrow.

Sacred justice moved my Architect.

I was raised here by Divine Omnipotence
Primordial Love and Ultimate Intellect.

Only those elements Time cannot wear
were made before Me.

And beyond Time I stand.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

(Dante - The Inferno)

As I was scanning through my blog, I noticed that all of a sudden, I had 23 comments on a particular posting. Now, while I'd LOVE to get this response on a regular basis, this did stick out like a sore thumb. It turned out that this was my "I've been cheated by Greg Podgorny" post.

Greg allegedly committed suicide on February 9th of this year. Here's the obituary.

I'm sure he's in Hell, and for me, it's only a question of whether he is in the Wood of Suicides of the Seventh Circle or lower down in the Eighth Circle in the Bolgia reserved for Thieves.

As an intellectual exercise, I talked to an Episcopal Bishop I've known for years and posited this question to him. He agreed with me that since he was ripping people off for a far longer time, he should be going further down the Infernal drainpipe - hence, to Circle Eight.

Now for those of you who have never read The Inferno - shame on you! Here is a much abridged description of the hotspots (pun intended) mentioned above:

Circle Seven - Middle Ring - The Wood of Suicides

This ring houses the violent.

In this ring are the suicides, who are transformed into gnarled thorny bushes and trees. They are torn at by the Harpies. Unique among the dead, the suicides will not be bodily resurrected after the Final Judgment, having given their bodies away through suicide. Instead they will maintain their bushy form, with their own corpses hanging from the limbs. Dante breaks a twig off one of the bushes and hears the tale of Pier delle Vigne, who committed suicide after falling out of favor with Emperor Frederick II.

Circle Eight - Bolgia Seven - Thieves

This Circle and the one below it (Number Nine - the really, really bad one housing Lucifer himself in the frozen lake of Cocytus) punish sins that involve conscious fraud or treachery. The circles can be reached only by descending a vast cliff, which Dante and Virgil do on the back of Geryon, a winged monster represented by Dante as having the face of an honest man and a serpentine body that ends in a scorpion-like stinger.

Thieves, guarded by the centaur (as Dante describes him) Cacus, are pursued and bitten by snakes and lizards. The snake bites make them undergo various transformations, with some resurrected after being turned to ashes, some mutating into new creatures, and still others exchanging natures with the reptiles, becoming lizards themselves that chase the other thieves in turn. Just as the thieves stole other people's substance in life, and because thievery is reptilian in its secrecy, the thieves' substance is eaten away by reptiles and their bodies are constantly stolen by other thieves.

Now, after Greg vanished off the face of the earth, and some decent soul told me he was back in North Carolina, I sent a letter to daddy George, the doctor. I was extremely nice. I indicated that I was a friend of Greg's, I knew he had moved back from California, wanted to know if he was okay and would he please give the letter to Greg. I never even asked about the $2000+ commission. I even included a SASE. I never received an answer.

I'm going to address some of the comments that were left on the original post:

I am a fiend of Greg's here in California and the one thing that I can tell you is that Greg got in over his head and never intended on stealing any money. I know that as a person he was smart, funny, helpful and would do anything for a friend. Obviously being known as a "thief" tore at him more than anyone of us will ever know. I am sorry that you weren't delivered what he promised but please forgive him and say a prayer for his family. Thank you.

Okay ... if he didn't want to be known as a 'thief', then why did he NEVER contact any of the people that commissioned work from him and explain his situation? I only got a phone number by accident after the move since it was on the UPS label of the partial commission he completed.

I feel bad for you folks, but you should be ashamed of yourself for posting his brother's contact information and website on here. What if your relative did something bad and someone posted YOUR personal information on a website and you received a flock of people trying to hold you accountable for something that another person did?

Three thoughts here:

ONE- Brother George's information is public knowledge.

TWO- I'm sure that a "flock" of people did contact brother George and he never responded to any of them. Greg and lawyer brother George shared an answering service. Wouldn't it have been the intelligent thing to do to grab Greg by the ear and say something to the effect, "I have YOUR customers calling ME because you ran out on them ... here are their numbers. Get on the phone and explain yourself!"


By the way, this factoid is from brother George's website: "George Podgorny, Jr., has been representing catastrophically injured clients since 1991. His cases have ranged from medical malpractice, pharmacy malpractice and motor vehicle accidents, to inadequate security and unfair and deceptive trade practice cases." Unfair and deceptive trade practice cases?? As the Church Lady would say ... "How Conveeeenient."

Three - I'm sure Mussolini's relatives felt the same way ...

Greg was a wonderful human being. He was kind, gentle, generous and full of imagination and light. When he left LA he left behind a 5,000 sq. ft. warehouse and was only able to take what he could fit into a trailer behind his truck. He used authentic antique anvils and tools to make his art. If you've ever moved, then you know what a mess it is. Try packing up a 5000 sq. ft warehouse in five days. How could he possibly deliver your goods when he had no where to even put on a blow torch?

You might of lost money, and it sounds as though you've got plenty to burn if you're spending it on discretionary items such as these. We lost a great friend and an artist; a true gift to humanity.

And now we have another "misstatement" ... when I spoke to Greg post-move, it was not a 5-day move and a trailer, but a Simon Legree-esque eviction that the landlord forced him in ONE day and what only he could fit in his truck. "Antique anvils" - interesting. I wonder if he used those on the set of armor that someone paid $10,500 for and never received...

I was also told by Greg DIRECTLY that since he was back at ECU and doing classes there, would I mind if my Faramir sword would be a class project he would demonstrate various techniques with. So much for not having a place to use a blowtorch.

And as far as these "discretionary items" - Greg wouldn't have had a business if myself and other folks who had "money to burn" didn't seek him out (and paid in full and in advance) for commissions which were never completed.

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that once someone has died, only the "good and wonderful" things are discussed about them. No longer being among the living is not an excuse for the sordid, wrong, dishonest, vicious, inconsiderate things you did in the past. Sainthood is not automatically conferred upon you when you breathe your last breath. That was YOU when you were alive and being dead doesn't change who were. Good OR bad.

I had a miserable experience with Greg. As many others did. I lost money. So did they. However, I was fortunate enough to be able to get around the theft and still accomplish what I wanted. I don't know if others cheated by him were so lucky. I truly hope they were. They were the victims here. Not Greg Podgorny.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck you you ignorant prick. This is Greg's girlfriend of 3 years, also his girlfriend from back in college. I know for a fact Greg did not sleep at night since he came back to NC after being evicted from Cali. He was a torn, broken man who could not even face his family in his despair. That is why his father and brother could do nothing for you. They were besides themselves trying to help and Greg was so lost he couldn't even accept help. He so wanted to make everything good. He was trying to work and get the equipment he needed to finish your project. How dare you smear his name after his death, a death by his own hand because all of this became so overwhelming to him. He was a beautiful person who got over his head. YOU shall be the prick who rots in hell for such blasphemy. If you truly knew the man you would not be saying these awful things. Greg was indeed the kindest, most giving person I have ever met. May the good lord have pity on your soul for being so mean. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Anonymous said...

The truth hurts, doesn't it, lady? Real classy language, too. I saw no blasphemy here but your own. Where were you, then, when all this was happening? Did you just stand by and watch while Greg systematically destroyed his livelihood by cheating and lying? If his dad and brother were so beside themselves trying to help, why did they not contact this person and ask for patience and understanding, or forgiveness at THAT time? Feel free to revise your own history and your own experience as you see fit, but to those who were stolen from this is a sad justice indeed and based on their own experience and solid facts. Greg even stole from you - years of your life, and the promise of being together in the future. I'm sorry for your loss, but don't take out your hurt on other people - get counseling.

Anonymous said...

Herion: Sorry for my previous post. It was inappropriate. This is your blog and you may write whatever you wish. Since I disagree, I'll exercise my rights and simply not visit again.

Good luck.

Herion said...

Anonymous: Apology accepted. It was inappropriate and that was why it was removed. I realize at times that the finger clicking the "Submit" button may be a little too fast. No harm, no foul.

Anonymous said...

Ahwwwww Come On Cinnamon

Don't let those deep greens turn to stormy grays.

I'd treat an entire meal in the great circle eight for the Church Lady and the entire congregation to see those mood ring eyes switch color.

Herion said...

Why thank you Anonymous ... sorry to disappoint you, but I think I'd find myself in Circle One with the virtuous pagans. God knows I'm no angel, but I've never taken money from someone without providing goods or services back.

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon

Have you ever been to the Circle K? I don't know about the circle one coffee but at the Circle K they sell a great coffee to go.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cinnamon I was wondering...

In which circle is there space reserved for folks who make assumptions about a situation they know nothing about and then act on those assumptions. The actions throw acid into the wounds of many, young and old who are already suffering profoundly over a tragic situation that can occur in the real circle of life. I'm not an English major but that behavior doesn't fall into the definition of 'virtuous' that I know. Perhaps I have to look it up.

Please let me know about this circle. I'm an avid learner.

Thanks

PS 'God knows' you say... think about that. I wouldn't know for sure but it could be that God is the one assigning circles.

PPS Your display hear makes stating that you are not and angel widely apparent...no need to state the obvious.

Anonymous said...

Last time I looked, you don't need to be an English major to read The Inferno - a library card will suffice. I think Herion may be a bit brutal in his assessment, but it's an honest one - the man paid for something, the provider skipped off with the funds and never contacted him - nor returned his money for services NOT rendered. Also, in your last paragraph, the proper word is "here" not "hear".

PS - I'm not an English major either.

Anonymous said...

...and the circle grows even larger

Herion said...

Donald -- you naughty boy -- leaving a comment like that ... and leaving a trail back to - GOSH - everything! IP address, ISP, DNS servers used, the works! I deleted the comment - since it was quite inappropriate - but I'm keeping it for posterity. Perhaps someone at the firm would like to read it sometime ...

Anonymous said...

Twelve.

Anonymous said...

As I write this...I cannot believe that I,myself,am SKEPTICAL that Greg is really deceased...

Yes,there is an OBIT for him...however,when you go to the newspaper listed and the funeral home listed within the obit....neither site produces info upon search for "Gregory Podgorny"
I appologize profusely, however....something about this " death notice" raises red flags....especially since it is apparently so hush hush,AND absolutely NOTHING comes up in numerous indepth searches about Greg's death

I would hate to think this is all a ruse, however....
Sad to say,but very true,that people have done similar things to halt actions against them or escape their past.

Even while I write this....I was thinking.." I hope I am wrong".....but then,if I am...he really is dead,and that is so sorrowful in and of itself.

He was a tortured spirit on this earth...I know that he grieved over his grandfathers death,but especially his Mothers death....he felt that those two people,more than anyone in his family,understood him and accepted him.

After the loss of them,he felt indeed alone on this earth.He felt he could never measure up to his families success....yes,a very successful family....of which he felt himself to be the "black sheep".

I do know that Greg was/is a good person there beneath everything else that had/has consumed him...

While none of this excuses the monetary losses his clients experienced...I can understand the fact that he was NOT functioning well,if at all....I do know that he had good intent...sadly that good intent was diminished by the fact that he was struggling so much within himself.In that split second that he would commit to something....his intent was pure,good and true..for that split second,he truly felt happy and believed in himself..then,it all just crumbled as he struggled within himself.

None of this is an excuse for everything that has happened....however, I state again,I can understand it.

In closing...these are my thoughts: Whether Greg is indeed deceased,or not....he had become an empty shell of his former self....either way,my sincerest wish and prayer...is that Greg find peace,rest and release from the torments of his life.

I will always remember Greg.I pray for him daily.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait until your family feels like his family when you are gone.If he is dead?Do you really think your website means anything to anyone but you.You lost some or your daddies money boo hoo.You were fortunate enough to meet someone that gave you a story thatcan tell over and over.To speak of the dead like that ..Shame on you

Herion said...

Hmmm ... if you choose to revise history when someone passes on, please feel free to do so. I choose not to.

When he was alive, Greg took money from me and many other people and did not return it when he could not fulfill his obligations.

In some jurisdictions, that is considered theft; in others it is categorized as embezzlement.

Greg's death does not change what he did or the damage he caused.

Anonymous said...

I must say that you were at least respectful in your response to me.Respect is all any family member would ask for their loved ones who have passed.There is no excuse for him not delivering what he promised but I can assure you that thet is in no way a representation of who he was as a person and friend.My so was turning 11 and I asked Greg what he thought about a sword as a gift for him.He recomended a shield and asked if I could meet him on a Saturday to go over the details.When I arrived he told me that WE were going to make his gift.Something I had always wanted to do but never seemed to find the time.We spent 4 hours forging this handmade gift for my son and I have never felt more pround to give him a gift as I was that day.He couldn't believe that I made it and of course I had to tell him that it was a joint effort.The effort you have put forth to drag his name through the mud could be used for so many positive things.Share your vast knowledge with someone that will appreciate it like I appreciated the time that Greg spent making me the best father in the world to my son. Its a shame ths Gregs talents and charm and heart couldn't have been passed down because I guarantee that my son will never forget Greg.I miss hime every day and we had a memorial last month for him and I know that hes in a better place where all is forgiven,hopefully you will be in that place before you pass...

Anonymous said...

Your an asshole. And nice try tossing in a reference to the Episcopal church. As a lifelong member of that particular denomination I can tell you that us Anglicans could give a rats ass about Dantes Inferno. We all read it in high school. Also, they are "Rectors" not "Bishops"
Lastly, Greg was my friend for many years. I think I speak for a large percentage of Winston Salem NC and the 100s of us who loved Greg - you're a douche bag. Who uses mixed metaphors. Most of us knew better by 9th grade. Get a life and a girlfriend. You're pitiful.

Herion said...

Well, this *IS* a surprise ... after all these many years, there are still some people who claim they "cared" for Greg and yet, did nothing to help him when he moved back to Winston-Salem. I'm pitiful? Please - you're the one who should be ashamed of yourself for ignoring your alleged "friend of many years".

And, I hate to break it to you, but when you get high enough in the Episcopal Church hierarchy, you *ARE* a bishop and not a "rector".

I have a life and a girlfriend - and you, sir, are merely a troll.

Anonymous said...

You're right - the Episcopal church have Bishops who are leaders of an entire Diocese, and I incorrectly assumed you were speaking to a local Rector. I still do not, however, buy into any assertion that any ordained minister in the Church would compare Inferno with Christianity. It's a fictional poem. Men of the cloth pretty much look no further than The Bible. Coupled with ( in this case )The Episcopalian Book of Common Prayer.

That said, when I happened upon your WTF site I only expected to say my piece and toss the bs into the atmosphere. But you're still around. What to do, what to do....hmmmmm....

Unknown said...

10 years have passed since Greg left this earth..It's nice to see that as of the 7 year mark you still have bitterness in your useless heart.The only good thing yhat comes to mind is that you are 10 years closer to the day that you too will be off of this earth.

DPD said...

thank you, I think gp is still gone